Saturday, August 28, 2010

Happy Happy Happy

Dear Glob. Here is a question for you!
What is the key to happiness?
Lets google it:

1. Learn to bring all learning back to yourself and not point the finger at others.
2. The greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lamat
3. Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln
4. The amount of happiness that you have depends on the amount of freedom you have in your heart. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Thoughts so far?
I like the point about fingers. It reminds me that if you're going to point your finger at someone else, you need to sort out your own shit first. I like the second point too, but not much more to say on that.
Ah, I like the philosopy of point three, happiness is not dependant on the crap that flies your way, it's a mindset and an exercise of self control.
Point 4? Freedom (as in Mel Gibson Braveheart)! I wonder that if you are continually pointing your finger at others, you bind yourself in knots of all the things that are wrong in the world... freedom, flip the coin. I agree.

So I was reading further, and http://www.grandtimes.com/happiness.html outlines the 5 helpful hints to happiness.
NUMBER ONE. Let go of old baggage.
NUMBER TWO. Live without regrets
NUMBER THREE. Live in the present
NUMBER FOUR. Everything in life is a teacher
NUMBER FIVE. No one has faults

Wise words.
So why do I write a blog?

This week I was chilling with one of my mates, and about mid way through the evening, I just realised that for all the bravado, my mate is not happy. It breaks my heart a little on the inside, especially because I wholeheartedly beleive that life is what we make of it, and that we have a choice in how we respond to people and circumstances. If you are miserable, it is your choice to be so.

With all my heart i am grateful because I have that happiness. You have a shit day, you have a shite week, but all in all I feel full and happy.

N.

No comments:

Post a Comment